About the building
The building was originally constructed as a service station in 1926 and then converted for restaurant use in the 1940’s. Over the past few decades the building had fallen into disrepair and become a bit of an eyesore at the northwest entrance to Ladd’s Addition, Portland’s oldest planned residential community.
Historic Resource Review
Urban Works worked side by side with the landlord, Ladd Corner LLC, as they worked with city and neighborhood officials in completing a Type II Historic Resource Review.
Urban Works brings in a new coffee brand
After discussions with multiple prospective tenants, Upper Left Roasters, who serve single-origin espresso, pour-over coffee, and an evolving menu of toasts and open-face sandwiches, were chosen as the best operator for the space. Since opening in 2015, Upper Left Roasters has been recognized as one of the top coffee shops in Portland.
This partnership between landlord and the tenant resulted in a beautiful café space that is now a bustling hub for the neighborhood.